Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Rough Guide to World Music Volume Two: Latin and North America, the Caribbean, Asia & the Pacific (Rough Guide Music Guides)

Customer Review: Extraordinary: Overwhelmingly Wonderful
The research here is remarkable. The scholarship is first-rate, the information exhaustive (although never definitive since world music grows with leaps and bounds moment by moment). I love dipping into this attractively illustrated, logically organized, and utterly helpful guide to find whole realms of sound which I not only didn't know existed but also could not even have imagined existed without the help of these fine fans of the music about which they write so clearly and well. The world today is a depressing place. Sorrow is everywhere one turns. But this celebration of music continually energizes and revivifies. Buy it; enjoy it; and expand your CD collection.
Customer Review: Everything V. 1 was for Middle-East, African, & European ...
... this one is for Latin & North American, Caribbean, Indian, Asian/Pacific idioms. I picked up the original '94 edition to explore World Beat rhythms in improvisatory settings, and was excited to hear the new edition would cover two volumes. I am NOT displeased !!


The guitar has a long and rich history. Guitar like musical instruments date back 5,000 years. There are six string guitars, four string bass guitars, twelve string guitars. Musical styles include blues guitar,rock guitar, folk guitar. There's acoustic steel string guitars, nylon string classical guitars, electric guitars with amplifiers. You can play with a plastic pick or fingerpick style. Melody lines or chords. The variety is endless.

By now I guess you can tell that I love the guitar. I love listening to guitar music but most of all I love playing. Years ago I decided to teach myself. I had a certain aptitude for music as I played the trumpet in my grammar school orchestra for a great music teacher who taught us how to read music. My big solo was the Mexican Hat Dance. I didn't continue with the trumpet but I yearned to be able to make music. So I bought a cheap six string and set out to become the next big thing. I bought a chord book, you know the kind which shows you where to put your fingers for each chord. I discovered that many songs use the simplest grouping of guitar chords. I was on my way.

I learned very rapidly that like anything else in life, if you want to get better at something, practice, practice, practice. My skills slowly progressed and now I'm pretty decent, if I do say so myself. I don't play in a band or on stage but I can grab my guitar and enjoy myself any time I want. It's fun, relaxing and rewarding.

Now, with the internet, there is a wealth of guitar instructional material available to all. I wish that when I was starting out (before the internet was even invented) I had access to the myriad of guitar courses now available. It sure would have saved me a lot of time.

Downloadable ebooks, video based training...there's even downloadable software to slow down a recorded guitar solo so you can play along and figure out the notes for yourself. We've sure come a long way haven't we ? These tools are fantastic and best of all no driving to music lessons, no boring scales and you can learn at your own pace. Couple of things to keep in mind:

Patience - Rome wasn't built in a day and no one becomes a guitar expert overnight. But with perseverance I believe anyone can learn to play the guitar.

Fingers - Steel strings are made of steel. At first your fingers will probably hurt like hell but give it time and practice and your fingertips will harden up.

I hope that I've imparted to you my love and enthusiasm for playing the guitar. If you want to make music with your hands learning to play the guitar is the way to go! As always, thanks for reading and for your valuable time.

I've done the research and found what I consider to be the top five online guitar courses. I sure wish these has been available when I was starting my guitar journey. They're available at http://www.reviewsbytheigmonster.com/

80's dance music

No comments: